Latest information: Remote study for UK

Foundation pathways cost of living

Studying abroad is a significant investment, with a lot of different costs to consider. As well as tuition itself, you’ll also need to factor in things like accommodation costs and living expenses.

The information below should give you an approximate idea of what kind of expenses you’ll need to consider in order to study a foundation pathway.

Cost typeGuide cost (2022-23 academic year)
Accommodation in Birmingham£91 to £287 per week
Living expenses in Birmingham (including food, transport and social activities)At least £1,023 per month
Administration fee£200
Insurance £448

Accommodation costs

You have a number of competitively priced accommodation options available for you in Birmingham. Find out more about accommodation costs and options on this dedicated accommodation page.

Course materials

Core textbooks, as well as access to core teaching materials and the University of Birmingham library, are included in your tuition fee and available at no extra cost.

Living costs

You will need at least £1,023 for each month of your pathway course, in keeping with UKVI regulations. Contact us for more information.

Social activities

The Foundation Pathways runs a programme of leisure and social events that allows you to meet and socialise with other international students. The cost of this is included in your tuition fee.

You will also be welcome to join the many groups, societies and social events hosted by the University of Birmingham’s Guild of Students. Many of these are free, but some may include an extra cost.


We strongly recommend that you have comprehensive insurance that will cover you during your studies. We can offer you EduTravel insurance for your time on the Foundation Pathways at the University of Birmingham. You just need to request this addition, and we’ll add the EduTravel policy to your study package.

Paid work

If you have a Student visa you can work 10 hours per week during term-time and full-time during holiday periods. You cannot undertake any type of self-employment or business activity.