Kaplan International Pathways Privacy Notice
Kaplan International Pathways is committed to maintaining the privacy and security of your personal data. This Privacy Notice explains how we collect, use, share and protect your personal data.
It is important that you read this Privacy Notice so that you are aware of how and why we are using your personal data.
This Privacy Notice is provided in a layered format so you can click through to the specific areas set out below:
- Who we are
- Data Protection Officer
- What is personal data?
- Data protection principles
- How we use your personal data
- The personal data we collect from you
- When and how we share your personal data with others
- Transfer of your personal data to other countries
- The security of your personal data
- Our storage and retention of your personal data
- Your rights as a data subject
- Changes to this privacy notice
- Kaplan International Pathways group companies
Kaplan International Pathways is a “data controller”. This means that we are responsible for deciding how we hold and use personal information about you. Where we act as a data controller, we are required under data protection legislation to notify anyone who provides personal data to us, either directly or through a third party, of the information contained in this Privacy Notice.
Kaplan International Pathways is made up of different legal entities, details of which can be found in this Privacy Notice. This Privacy Notice is issued on behalf of the Kaplan International Pathways group so when we mention “Kaplan”, “we”, “us” or “our” in this Privacy Notice, we are referring to the relevant company in the Kaplan International Pathways group responsible for processing your data.
We have appointed a Data Protection Officer (DPO) who is responsible for overseeing questions in relation to this privacy notice. If you have any questions about this Privacy Notice, including any requests to exercise your legal rights, please contact the DPO using the details set out below:
Name of DPO: Rachael Convery
Email address: [email protected]
Postal address: Palace House, 3 Cathedral St, London SE1 9DE, England, UK.
If you are an EU national or resident in an EU country, and wish to contact our EU Representative:
Kaplan Ireland Education Limited, 13/14 Aungier Street, Dublin 2, D02 WC04 Ireland
If you are a UK national or resident in the UK, and wish to contact our UK Representative:
Kaplan UK Limited, UK Data Protection Representative, Palace House, 3 Cathedral St, London SE1 9DE, England
You have the right to make a complaint at any time to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO), the UK supervisory authority for data protection issues. We would, however, appreciate the chance to deal with your concerns before you approach the ICO so please contact us in the first instance.
Personal data is any information about an individual from which that individual can be identified. Your name, address, phone number and bank account number are examples of personal data. It does not include data where the identity has been removed (anonymous data).
We will comply with data protection law. This says that the personal information we hold about you must be:
- Used lawfully, fairly and in a transparent way.
- Collected only for valid purposes that we have clearly explained to you and not used in any way that is incompatible with those purposes.
- Relevant to the purposes we have told you about and limited only to those purposes.
- Accurate and kept up to date.
- Kept only as long as necessary for the purposes we have told you about.
- Kept securely.
We will only use your personal data when the law allows us to. Most commonly, we will use your personal data in the following circumstances:
- Where we need to perform a contract we have entered into with you.
- Where we need to comply with a legal obligation.
- Where it is necessary for our legitimate interests (or those of a third party) and your interests and fundamental rights do not override those interests.
We may also use your personal data in the following situations, which are likely to be less common:
- Where we need to protect your vital interests (or someone else’s interests).
- Where it is needed in the public interest or for official purposes.
Generally we do not rely on consent as a legal basis for processing your personal data other than in relation to sending direct marketing communications to you via email. You have the right to withdraw consent to marketing at any time by contacting us.
When you request information or make enquiries about any of our services or programmes, we may use the personal data you provide in order to fulfil your request or respond to your enquiry. It is in our legitimate interests to use your personal data in this way so that you receive the information you have requested.
If you make an application to study on one of our programmes or related to accommodation we may collect the following categories of personal data about you:
- Personal contact details such as name, title, addresses, telephone numbers, and personal email addresses.
- Date of birth.
- Nationality and country of residence.
- Passport number.
- Visa information and immigration status.
- Education history.
- Employment history.
- Funding information.
It is in our legitimate interests to collect and use the above information in order to consider and process your application.
We may also ask you to disclose information regarding any criminal convictions you may have as part of your application. We need to use this information in order to comply with our legal obligations.
Study and accommodation
If we enter into a contract with you relating to study or accommodation, we may collect additional personal data relating to you including:
- Bank account details.
- Billing address.
- Credit card or other payment information in order to process your payments.
This information, together with the personal data provided to us above at application stage, will be used by us to perform the contract we have entered into with you.
We will also collect further personal data relating to your visa application and immigration status as we have a legal obligation to use this information.
During your studies we will collect information about your academic experience and progression. This is in order to fulfil our contract with you but it is also in our legitimate interests to use this personal data in order to monitor the provision of our service to you.
We may also collect personal data about your health in order to make appropriate arrangements and reasonable adjustments for you regarding your welfare, attendance or accommodation. We use this information in order to perform our contract with you and also to fulfil our legal obligations.
We may also collect personal data about you if you are named as an emergency contact for an individual. We use this information as it is in the vital interests of such individual.
If you use an agent to arrange your application and study with us, we may collect the categories of personal data described above from your agent.
Where you have explicitly consented to do so, we may use your personal data to inform you of special offers and new or existing services that we believe may be of interest to you or to send surveys or questionnaires so that we can learn more about your needs and interests.
If you would prefer that we do not send such communications to you, please follow the opt-out links on any marketing message or contact us using the contact details in this Privacy Notice.
Internal business purposes
We also may use your personal data for our internal business purposes. This is in our legitimate interests in order to operate as a business and monitor and improve the services we provide. Where possible we will anonymise this information. Please contact us using the contact details in this Privacy Notice if you would like more information.
Automated technologies or interactions
If you fail to provide personal data
Where we need to collect personal data by law, or under the terms of a contract we have with you and you fail to provide that data when requested, we may not be able to perform the contract we have or are trying to enter into with you (for example, to provide you with goods or services). In this case, we may have to cancel a product or service you have with us but we will notify you if this is the case at the time.
We may share your personal data with third parties where required by law, where it is necessary to perform our contract with you or where we have a legitimate interest in doing so.
Such third parties may include the following:
- Our service providers: We may share your personal data with other companies that perform certain services on our behalf. These services may include processing payments, providing customer service and marketing assistance, performing business and sales analysis and supporting our website and IT functionality. These service providers may be supplied with or have access to your personal data solely for the purpose of providing these services to us or on our behalf. Kaplan is the data controller and will remain accountable for your personal data.
- Our business partners: We may share your personal data with our university partners or with your sponsor with whom we have a contract relating to your programme of study.
- Agents: If you use an agent to arrange your application or study with us, we may share your personal data with them.
- Parents and guardians: If you are under 18, we may share your personal data with your parents or guardians in order to perform our contract, comply with our legal obligations and if it is in your vital interests.
- Other entities in the Kaplan group: We may share your personal data with other entities in our group as part of our regular reporting activities on company performance, in the context of a business reorganisation or group restructuring exercise or for system maintenance support and hosting of data.
- Regulators: We may need to share your personal data if required by a regulator or to otherwise comply with law.
- Others: We may share your personal information with other third parties such as in the context of the possible sale of our business. We may also need to share your personal data in order to permit us to pursue available remedies or limit damages we may sustain.
As we are an international business with employees, entities and service providers all over the world, we may need to transfer the personal data you provide to us to other countries which may be outside the European Economic Area (EEA).
The data protection laws in such countries may not be as comprehensive and provide the same level of protection for your personal data as those within the EEA. In these circumstances, we will take appropriate steps to ensure that your personal data is handled as described in this Privacy Notice. These steps will include appropriate contractual mechanisms. Please contact us using the contact details in this Privacy Notice if you would like more information.
We have put in place appropriate security measures to prevent your personal data from being accidentally lost, used or accessed in an unauthorised way, altered or disclosed. In addition, we limit access to your personal information to those employees, service providers, business partners, agents and other third parties who have a legitimate need to know. They will only process your personal information on our instructions or as otherwise agreed and they are subject to a duty of confidentiality.
We have put in place procedures to deal with any suspected data security breach and will notify you and any applicable regulator of a suspected breach where we are legally required to do so.
We will only retain your personal data for as long as necessary to fulfil the purposes we collected it for, including for the purposes of satisfying any legal, accounting or reporting requirements. To determine the appropriate retention period for personal data, we consider the amount, nature, and sensitivity of the personal data, the potential risk of harm from unauthorised use or disclosure of your personal data, the purposes for which we process your personal data and whether we can achieve those purposes through other means, and the applicable legal requirements. Please contact us using the contact details in this Privacy Notice if you would like more information.
It is important that the personal information we hold about you is accurate and current. Please keep us informed if your personal information changes during your working relationship with us.
In some circumstances we may anonymise your personal data so that it can no longer be associated with you, in which case we may use such information without further notice to you.
Under certain circumstances, by law you have the right to:
- Request access to your personal data (commonly known as a “data subject access request”). This enables you to receive a copy of the personal data we hold about you and to check that we are lawfully processing it.
- Request correction of the personal that we hold about you. This enables you to have any incomplete or inaccurate information we hold about you corrected.
- Request erasure of your personal data. This enables you to ask us to delete or remove personal data where there is no good reason for us continuing to process it. You also have the right to ask us to delete or remove your personal data where you have exercised your right to object to processing (see below).
- Object to processing of your personal data where we are relying on a legitimate interest (or those of a third party) and there is something about your particular situation which makes you want to object to processing on this ground. You also have the right to object where we are processing your personal information for direct marketing purposes.
- Request the restriction of processing of your personal data. This enables you to ask us to suspend the processing of personal data about you, for example if you want us to establish its accuracy or the reason for processing it.
- Request the transfer of your personal data to another party.
If you want to review, verify, correct or request erasure of your personal data, object to the processing of your personal data, or request that we transfer a copy of your personal information to another party, please contact us using the contact details in this Privacy Notice.
No fee usually required
You will not have to pay a fee to access your personal data (or to exercise any of the other rights). However, we may charge a reasonable fee if your request for access is clearly unfounded or excessive. Alternatively, we may refuse to comply with the request in such circumstances.
What we may need from you
We may need to request specific information from you to help us confirm your identity and ensure your right to access the information (or to exercise any of your other rights). This is another appropriate security measure to ensure that personal information is not disclosed to any person who has no right to receive it.
Your right to withdraw consent
In circumstances where you may have provided your consent to the collection, processing and transfer of your personal data for a specific purpose, you have the right to withdraw your consent for that specific processing at any time. To withdraw your consent, please contact us using the contact details in this Privacy Notice. Once we have received notification that you have withdrawn your consent, we will no longer process your information for the purpose or purposes you originally agreed to, unless we have another legitimate basis for doing so in law.
We reserve the right to update this Privacy Notice at any time, and we will provide you with a new Privacy Notice when we make any substantial updates. We may also notify you in other ways from time to time about the processing of your personal information.
|Name of college or operation||Kaplan International Pathway group company
(all registered at Palace House, 3 Cathedral St, London SE1 9DE, England)
|Headquarters||Kaplan International Colleges UK Limited
(Company number 05268303)
|Glasgow International College||Kaplan Glasgow Limited
(Company number: 05976922)
|Bournemouth University International College||Kaplan Bournemouth Limited
(Company number: 08291927)
|Kaplan International College London||Kaplan International College London Limited (Company number: 06533974)|
|Liverpool International College||Kaplan Liverpool Limited
(Company number: 06217892)
|Nottingham Trent International College||Kaplan NT Limited
(Company number: 05268287)
|University of Brighton International College||Kaplan Brighton Limited
(Company number: 07331979)
|University of West England, Bristol’s International College||Kaplan UWE Limited
(Company number: 08102562)
|The University of Nottingham International College||Kaplan Nottingham Limited
(Company number: 10199220)
|University of Essex International College||Kaplan Essex Limited
(Company number 10846169)
Kaplan International Pathways uses persistent cookies for website analytics and performance:
We use Google Analytics cookies and Remarketing cookies together to inform, optimise and serve ads based on user’s past visits to our website. We use these tools to improve our website for the benefit of our users and make site improvements, all data collected is anonymous. For more information on Google Analytics cookie usage, please visit their website: www.google.co.uk/intl/en/analytics/privacyoverview.html.
Targeting and advertising cookies
Cookies enable us to learn about what ads you see, what ads you click, and other actions you take on our site. This allows us to provide you with more useful and relevant ads. They also limit the number of times that you see an ad and help us measure the effectiveness of our marketing campaigns. The advertising cookies are in accordance with each provider’s policies:
Facebook and Instagram: https://www.facebook.com/about/privacyshield
We use Open Tracking to understand your interaction with the emails we send you, and to ensure we’re sending you relevant information. Open Tracking downloads a tiny image from the server when you open our email, and lets us know that you opened it, and also tells us which device you opened it on and the email client and browser you used. By signing up, you give us permission to use Open Tracking.
Prohibiting the collection of cookies
If you would like to prevent Kaplan International Pathways from collecting cookies when you visit our site, please update the privacy setting in your chosen web browser. You can directly control cookie acceptance from there:
Google Chrome: https://www.google.com/chrome/browser/privacy/
Mozilla Firefox: www.mozilla.org/en-US/privacy
Google Analytics: https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout
Kaplan International Pathways reserves the right to monitor and remove any content that is deemed to be inappropriate from any blog or social media page associated with Kaplan International.
Inappropriate content includes, but is not limited to:
- Content that is offensive, lewd, sexually explicit, racist, obscene, xenophobic, hurtful, threatening or defamatory (to any persons or entities).
- Content that is libellous or that endorses illegal activity
- Content that purposefully seeks to defame or damage the Kaplan International Pathways brand
Copyright on the Site and in all materials included in it are owned by or licensed to Kaplan International Pathways or the other applicable Kaplan company and all rights are reserved. You must abide by all copyright notices and restrictions contained on the Site. You may not copy, distribute, enter into a database, display, perform, create derivative works from, transmit, or otherwise use any materials from the Site (including computer programmes or other code) (“Site Materials”), except that you make a reasonable number of machine-readable copies of the Site Materials only for personal, non-commercial use, and only if you do not alter the text or remove any trademark, copyright, or other notice displayed on the Site Materials.
Kaplan, Kaplan International, Kaplan International Pathways, and any other Kaplan company logos or trademarks on the Site are trademarks owned by Kaplan, Inc. or the other applicable Kaplan company (Kaplan Trademarks). You may not use the Kaplan Trademarks in connection with any product or service that does not belong to us, or in any manner that is likely to cause confusion among users about whether we are the source, sponsor, or endorser of the product or service, or in any manner that disparages or discredits us.
Report a copyright and trademark infringement
Copyright and trademark owners can report alleged violations by reporting claims of copyright and trademark infringement to [email protected]
Links, frames, and meta tags
You may link to the homepage of the Site as long as the link does not cast us in a false or misleading light. You may not frame the content of the Site. You may not use meta-tags or any other “hidden text” that incorporates the Kaplan Trademarks or our name without our express written consent.
Links to other websites
Disclaimer and limitation of liability
THIS SITE AND THE INFORMATION, CONTENTS, GRAPHICS, DOCUMENTS AND OTHER ELEMENTS INCLUDED HEREIN (COLLECTIVELY THE “CONTENTS”) ARE PROVIDED ON AN “AS IS” BASIS WITH ALL FAULTS AND WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY OF ANY KIND. KAPLAN INTERNATIONAL PATHWAYS AND THE KAPLAN GROUP OF COMPANIES HEREBY DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES AND CONDITIONS WITH REGARD TO THE SITE CONTENTS, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES AND CONDITIONS OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, TITLE AND NON-INFRINGEMENT.
EXCEPT AS MAY BE EXPRESSLY STATED ON THIS SITE, NEITHER KAPLAN INTERNATIONAL PATHWAYS NOR ANY OF THE KAPLAN GROUP OF COMPANIES NOR ANY OF THEIR OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, SHAREHOLDERS, EMPLOYEES OR OTHER AUTHORISED REPRESENTATIVES SHALL BE LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OR PERFORMANCE OF THIS SITE, OR THE INFORMATION OR CONTENTS AVAILABLE FROM THIS SITE. THIS IS A COMPREHENSIVE LIMITATION OF LIABILITY THAT APPLIES TO ALL DAMAGES OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING (WITHOUT LIMITATION) COMPENSATORY, DIRECT, INDIRECT OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, LOSS OF DATA, INCOME OR PROFIT, LOSS OF OR DAMAGE TO PROPERTY AND CLAIMS OF THIRD PARTIES.
THE CONTENTS OF THIS SITE COULD INCLUDE TECHNICAL INACCURACIES OR TYPOGRAPHICAL ERRORS. CHANGES ARE PERIODICALLY ADDED TO THE CONTENTS OF THIS SITE. KAPLAN INTERNATIONAL PATHWAYS MAY MAKE IMPROVEMENTS, DELETIONS, CHANGES OR OTHER MODIFICATIONS TO THIS SITE, THE CONTENTS HEREOF, AND THE PRODUCTS AND SOFTWARE DESCRIBED HEREIN AT ANY TIME WITHOUT NOTICE.
Last updated: May 2018