Study an International Year One

If you want to study a bachelor’s degree at a UK university, but don’t currently meet the entry requirements, then an International Year One (IYO) could be what you’re looking for. 

What is an International Year One? 

If you don’t meet the entry requirements to go to a UK university directly, degree preparation courses like an IYO can help you reach the level needed to start a bachelor’s degree. It’s a great choice if you’re sure about the subject you want to study.

After successfully completing an IYO, you progress straight to the second year of a bachelor’s degree, so you save time and money. You’re guaranteed a place at university when you pass your course at the required level with good attendance.” 

4 steps to university

  1. Complete high school with good grades 

  2. Take an International Year One to prepare for your degree 

  3. Pass your International Year One with the required grades and good attendance 

  4. Progress to the second year of your chosen undergraduate degree at university 

What progression degree subject areas are available? 

Building & architecture icon

Building and Architecture  

Business and finance icon

Business and Finance   

Computing icon


Engineering icon


Environment and agriculture icon

Environment and Agriculture

Hospitality & tourism icon

Hospitality and Tourism  

Law icon


Marketing and media icon

Marketing and Media  

Science & health icon

Science and Health  

Social sciences icon

Social Science and Humanities  

Want to see what degrees you can progress to?

What to expect during your International Year One 

During your International Year One course, you will have the chance to:

  • Improve your English 

  • Develop your academic skills  

  • Deepen your subject knowledge 

  • Benefit from expert teaching by friendly tutors 

  • Enjoy dedicated wellbeing support 

  • Meet other students from around the world in an international environment  

Gray, Cutlery

“I didn’t meet the entry requirements to go straight into university in the UK, so when I found the IYO I was really happy because it felt like the right choice for me. It meant I could spend a year preparing for my degree and then progress straight into second year of university.”

Anel from Kazakhstan,
UWE Bristol student 

Take an International Year One with Internship

If you’d like to gain valuable work experience during your studies, you can often choose to add an integrated online internship to your course, which is taken in the UK. Simply select the internship option of your preferred course when you apply.

Study an International Year One in the UK

You can study an International Year One course at one of the specialist international study centres listed below. 

Any other questions?

What are the entry requirements for an IYO in the UK? 

Entry requirements vary. However, typical requirements are:

  • Academic: at least 12 years of education   
  • English language: UKVI IELTS 4.0 to 5.5 (or accepted equivalent)

Please note: the duration of your IYO will vary between 6 and 18 months depending on your English language level and academic skills. 

How much does it cost to study an IYO? 

Tuition fees for an IYO start from £15,140 (2023–24 academic year), depending on the subject you choose, course duration, and where you study.

What if I don’t meet the requirements to progress to my degree? 

If you don’t meet the progression requirements for your first-choice degree, we’ll offer counselling on back-up study options through the University Placement Service

Can I study an IYO in the USA? 

IYO courses are currently only available in the UK. However, there are foundation courses at our partner universities in the USA that might be suitable for you. These courses will help you meet academic and English entry requirements for a degree. They include Global Pathways at Pace University and ASU-USA Pathways at Arizona State University

Can I study an IYO in Australia or New Zealand?

You can take undergraduate preparation courses similar to an IYO at our partner universities in Australia and New Zealand. With Kaplan, you can study at the University of Adelaide or the University of Newcastle in Australia, or Massey University in New Zealand.