University of Essex
A forward-thinking, lively international environment. The University of Essex offers high-quality teaching on a beautiful campus, not far from London.
Why choose the University of Essex?
Top 30 in the UK overall
Guardian University Guide 2024
Top 20 in the world for international outlook
Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2024
4th in the UK for teaching effectiveness
Guardian University Guide 2024
The University of Essex is highly ranked in many subjects, giving you the chance to advance your education in a field you love.
Ready to find a degree at the University of Essex?
in the UK for Economics
in the UK for Politics
in the UK for Business and Management
in the UK for Psychology
Accounting and Finance
Top 200 in the world (QS World University Rankings by Subject 2023)
23rd in the UK (Guardian University Guide 2024)
Computer Science and Information Systems
2nd (joint) in the UK for teaching effectiveness (Guardian University Guide 2024)
Hospitality, Event Management and Tourism
12th in the UK (Guardian University Guide 2024)
16th in the UK (Guardian University Guide 2024)
49th in the world (Times Higher Education World University Rankings by Subject 2024)
13th in the UK (Guardian University Guide 2024)
28th in the UK (Guardian University Guide 2024)
Take a closer look at the University of Essex
Here’s why our students love Essex
Essex offers the best of both worlds: beautiful countryside, seaside and towns, within easy reach of metropolitan London.
Impatient to start working towards your future? Essex is the place for you!
Critical thinkers and changemakers are welcomed here.
Top 3 reasons to choose Essex
- Welcoming sense of community on campus
- Award-winning teaching
- Close to London but less expensive than the capital
Your route to the University of Essex
If you want to study at the University of Essex but don’t yet meet the entry requirements, then you can take a degree preparation course at our on-campus International College and progress to the University.
If you do meet the entry requirements for a bachelor’s or master’s degree, you can choose to study a degree online.
- On-campus degree preparation courses
- Live and study on the University’s Colchester campus from day one
- Guaranteed entry to a University of Essex degree*
- Study a degree preparation course online with Kaplan Pathways
- Guaranteed entry to your chosen on-campus University of Essex bachelor’s or master’s degree*
- Explore your degree options via digital degree preparation on our Degree Finder
- Online bachelor’s or master’s degree from the University of Essex
- Study a degree remotely if you meet entry requirements
*When you pass your degree preparation course at the required level with good attendance.
- A degree preparation course (also known as a pathway course) helps you improve your English language level, academic skills and subject knowledge.
- If you pass your degree preparation course at the required level and with good attendance, then you are guaranteed entry to your chosen degree at university.
Life on campus
The main Colchester Campus is just 3 kilometres from the city centre. The Southend Campus is located in the heart of the seaside city of Southend.
The University of Essex is a forward-thinking institution with cutting-edge facilities and award-winning teaching.
Teaching Excellence Framework 2023
students from more than 140 countries
of parkland on campus
3rd in the UK
for investment in student services and facilities (Complete University Guide 2024)
88% of graduates
are in employment or further study within 15 months (Graduate Outcomes Survey 2021)
Top 30 in the UK
for research intensity (Complete University Guide 2024)
Download useful information
(5 MB, PDF)
- University of Essex brochure
- Degree preparation course information
- University of Essex flyer
Any other questions?
Where is Essex – is it near London?
Essex is a UK county in the south-east of England. It takes less than one hour to reach London by train from Colchester, where the University of Essex’s main campus is located.
What can I do at Essex?
When you’re not studying, you can explore all that Essex has to offer! From fish and chips by the seaside to nights out in Colchester, you can experience life in Essex like a local. At the University, you can get involved with lots of different clubs and societies — it’s a chance to meet new people and enjoy the activities that interest you most.
Is Essex a good place for international students?
Yes! The University of Essex is one of the most diverse universities in the UK. Its international community of students and staff is celebrated, with over 140 nationalities represented. You’ll be able to share your culture with others while learning about perspectives that are different from your own.