Latest information: Remote study for UK

UK visa advice

Before you leave to study in the UK you will, in most cases, need to obtain a Student visa. Applying for a visa can take time, so it’s important to plan far enough in advance to get one.

To help you navigate the visa application process, we’ve prepared answers to common questions – take a look below.

Frequently asked questions

1. How much money do I need to show that I have?

Studying in the UK is a big investment, so you need to plan ahead. You must have at least £1,023 for each month of your pathway course (or £1,334 per month if you’re studying in London), up to a maximum of 9 months, as well as funds to cover any unpaid tuition fees. This must be held in a recognised bank account for at least 28 days before you make your application for your Student visa.

2. Who can sponsor my studies in the UK

You can be sponsored by a number of different bodies, including your own government, the UK government, an international organisation, a university, the British Council or an international company. Alternatively, you may rely on your parents or legal guardians to pay for your studies. If you’re using money from parents or legal guardians, you will need evidence of your relationship to them, such as a birth or adoption certificate.

3. Can Kaplan sponsor my studies in the UK?

Unfortunately, Kaplan is unable to financially sponsor students to study in the UK. However, we can offer some partial scholarships to help you in your studies. You can find out more on our scholarships page.

4. Can I bring dependants to the UK?

Only students who are studying at postgraduate level for 12 months or more may bring dependants to the UK. This period applies to degree study only, and does not include any time spent studying a Pre-Master’s. Sponsored students may bring dependents at any level of study as long as the study duration is longer than 6 months.

5. Do I need UKVI IELTS to study in the UK?

Any student who doesn’t hold a degree or nationality from a majority-English-speaking country will need to satisfy the UKVI (UK Visas and Immigration) English language requirement. You can do this by taking an IELTS for UKVI test, or another UKVI-approved Secure English Language Test (SELT), at a UKVI-approved test centre, and reaching the required English level no more than 2 years before your CAS is assigned.

For a test to be approved, it needs to be at B1 level or above in the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR), and test all 4 language skills: listening, reading, writing and speaking. The tests currently accepted are:

  • IELTS for UKVI
  • LanguageCert International ESOL SELT B1 (Listening, Reading, Writing, Speaking)
  • LanguageCert International ESOL SELT B2 (Listening, Reading, Writing, Speaking)
  • PTE (Pearson Test of English) Academic UKVI
  • Skills for English UKVI (4 component)

If you have a degree from another country, which was taught in English, you will also need an English Language Assessment from UK ENIC. Anybody who has taken GCSEs, A-Levels, or Scottish Highers in English Language or English Literature in a UK school while they were under 18, is also exempt.

6. Can I apply for a Student Child visa to study with Kaplan?

Even if you’re under 18, you won’t be able to apply for a Student Child visa to study at a Kaplan college, as Kaplan colleges are not independent schools. This is in accordance with UK immigration laws.

7. I am a national of a British Overseas Dependent Territory. Do I still need UKVI IELTS and a Student visa?

Holding a passport from a British Overseas Dependent Territory is not sufficient to exempt you from the UKVI English language requirement, so you will still need to meet the criteria in question 5. Unless you are a naturalised British national, you will also still need to obtain a Student visa.

You may also be interested in...